-Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways. Kale.
Kale is the latest craze. It’s like the aloe vera juice from the 80’s and the low fat yogurt from the 90’s. Everyone is eating kale.
That little green thing that used to be only garnish on one’s plate at a fancy resturant.
I truly love kale and eat it most everyday. There’s so many types – from green curly to dinasour that one can’t get bored with it. And did I mention that it’s a cheap superfood? Yes, kale on average is only about $3 a bunch. It’s also easy to grow and easy to find at your farmer’s market. So let’s get technical for just a moment. Kale is so good for you. Dr. Joel Fuhrman ranks it has the 2nd most important superfood just under collards and turnip greens. (Super Immunity, 2011) Kale contains a high amount of antioxidants, vit C, calcium, potassium, vit K, anti-inflammatory properties and I could go on and on. It has SO many important nutrients that it should be consumed often. So get out there and eat you some KALE!
Now, onto the recipe because that’s really why you’re reading this, right? Here’s my version of a kale salad, it’s eaten almost every week at my house and no lie, my kids prefer it over a regualar salad.
- 1 large bunch of kale, rinsed, ribs removed and torn into SMALL pieces – small pieces are important for newbies and kids
- ½ cup of olive oil, or avocado oil
- juice of one lemon
- dash of red pepper flakes (more if you like heat) don't leave it out though
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sweet apple cut into small pieces
- 2-3 TBS of shredded parmasean cheese
- garnish with panko (optional)
- S & P (salt and pepper)
- Make your dressing. Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic and S&P. Wisk well.
- Combine dressing with kale and massage into pieces. Yes, I said massage- use your hands.
- Add apple, red pepper flakes. Let it stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Right before serving add the cheese and panko/breadcrumbs.