Breakfast…. I get asked so many times what do I cook for breakfast.
Mostly eggs because we have our own chickens and so we always have eggs. And my husband alway makes a green smoothie so we usually have that too. Recently I was getting really bored with these 2 options so of course I went searching. Boy, did I find a WINNER!
Pumpkin Quinoa- my new love!
This warm, satisifying hearty breakfast will keep you full until lunch. The blend of pumpkin with warm spices, coconut and some nuts is almost like a dessert. And because I am unable to follow recipes (I don’t know why, it’s just in my nature to personalize things to my liking and/or to adjust the recipe to what I have on hand, almost like a test; I’ve changed up the recipe somewhat. So I guess I can call it my own now)
I promise you’ll like it. Remember your breakfast should consist of a good quality protein and good fats. Your caffeine is better utilized if consumed WITH food rather than BEFORE or IN PLACE OF food. And eating breakfast within an hour of waking, sets your metabolism in motion to help stabilize your blood sugars, tap into burning fat as an energy source and reduce cravings later in the day.
Let me know what you think about Pumpkin Quinoa!
- 1 cup of quinoa- I prefer red quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 cup of filtered water
- 1 and ½ cups of milk- coconut is my favorite in this
- ½ cup to 1 cup of pureed pumpkin
- 2 tsp of ground flax seed
- 1 tbs of maple syrup
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp to ¾ tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- dash of salt
- Toppings: coconut flakes, nuts, cocoa nibs, berries, etc.
- Heat 1 cup of water and 1 cup of milk to almost boiling. After rinsing quinoa, add it and the pumpkin and spices to pot. Cook on low for 15 minutes or until liquid is all absorbed. In a bowl add a heaping spoonful of porridge then pour some of the remaining milk around. Drizzle a little maple syrup over top and add your toppings. Enjoy!
The Skinny Peach